Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Storytelling Week 12 - My Secret

                  I hated my wings.  I was apparently born with them.  When I was born, they more like little nubs sticking out from my back but as I grew older they became more and more clearly defined as wings.  My father had a special brace made for them.  I always wore it, unless I was positive no one would see.  As I grew up, I became rather reclusive because I didn’t want people to find out my secret.  I was scared that people would make fun of me or have me thrown into a weird science lab for experimentation. 
                  Everything changed when I met Annabelle.  She was so kind and caring.  No matter how much I wanted to withdraw into my little world, she always brought me back into the real world.  She didn’t care what I did, she just wanted to love me and be with me.  And that was all I needed from her.  After dating for quite a few years, I finally got up the courage to propose to her.  I kept thinking that she was going to turn me down and laugh in my face.  But true to herself, she was so excited to marry me!  She started wedding preparations as soon as possible, and next thing I knew we were married.  However, we got married without her knowing my big secret. 

                  Annabelle never pried into the things I wanted to keep secret, and I loved her even more for that.  I finally got up the courage to tell her.  I sat her down and began to tell her.
                  “So . . . I know that we have been married for a little while now.”
                  “Yeah, and?”
                  “Well, you have always been good about not asking me why I always wear a shirt.”
                  “Well, you have never wanted to talk about it, so I wanted to let you tell me when you were comfortable with it.”  Goodness, she was so patient with me.
                  “And I decided that today I will tell you what is going on that.”  I started to un-button the shirt I was wearing as I was talking.  “You see . . . I have always been hiding this huge secret.  I want you to promise that you won’t do anything when you find out this secret.  Like, give me over to a science lab or something like that.”
                  “Oh of course I wouldn’t do that sweetie!  Do you think I would be that cruel?  Now what is this secret?  You are making me nervous.”
                  “Well, the thing is, I was born with these . . . . “ I ripped off my shirt and the brace to allow my wings to reach their full span.  “What do you think?”
                  “Oh my goodness, John.  They are beautiful!  I think they fit you perfectly!”
                  “Really?  I have always wanted to get rid of them”

                  “Oh don’t do that!  Your secret is safe with me.  They complete you.  I wouldn’t want you without them.”  And with that, she threw her arms around me and gave me one of the most loving kisses I have ever received from her.  I returned the hug, knowing my secret is safe with her.

Author's Note: I chose to use The Unknown Bride as my inspiration from this story.  I took the idea of King Midas' ears in the story and created a story from that idea.  In the story, King Midas has donkey ears that he hides under his crown.  The only person who knows this is his wife.  She is told not to tell this secret, but because she cannot hold this secret in.  So she goes to the swamp to tell the swamp the secret.  The story then has a knight come along and hear the secret, and then the story goes on into following the knight in his quest for his queen.  However, that is not important to the story that I am writing.  The Unknown Bride has three different parts to it and the part I chose, the first part, is the only part that has King Midas mentioned in it.  I also decided to add in a little X-Men flair as well, for those of you who are fans of the series.  I am not the biggest fan so if I get any details wrong, please forgive me.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty cool story Meghan! I really enjoyed reading this. I like the little X-Men flair that you threw in. I immediately thought of the scene of the movie where the father catches his son trying to cut off his wings. I enjoyed the character Annabelle. She was so understanding and loved her husbands wings, which made the main character seemingly start to like them as well. This made for a great ending. Well done Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is fantastic! I love how you adapted it from the original. There re some stories that I think would be good to replicate, but they get redundant and I don't know how to chop them up. Instead of telling how John's secret could have spread, you just kept it quiet. Brilliant! It's great that his wife encouraged him to keep his wings. Everyone should be celebrated for unique differences. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cool story! You used some really good dialogue and helped bring this story to life. You have a great writing style and I liked the simplicity of your story. Your story was well developed and easy to read. Thanks for fun read, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. I really enjoyed the flow of it, and it was very well written throughout. I really liked how you pieced everything together. The ending was by far my favorite part. I really liked your version of the story much better than the original, although I did enjoy the original as well. Good luck with the rest of your semester.

    ReplyDelete