Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Adventure of My Life: Storytelling Week 9

One day it was a rather windy day.  My dad was trying to sleep and the Wind was not letting him.  So he turned to me and told me to go tell the wind to be quiet. 

"But you must listen to my directions.  You have to first put your arm out of the smoke hole and then stick your head.  The wind will listen to you only if you do that."

So I climbed up to the smoke hole at the top of our teepee.  But as I got closer and closer to the smoke hole, I got more and more excited.  My father did not let me normally see what was outside and I was a very curious girl.  I wanted to see what the world was like because my father normally had me stay in the teepee and never go anywhere.  So when I reached the smoke hole, I stuck my arm and my head out of the smoke hole at the same time.  Before I knew, I felt a tug on my hair and I was off!  I was being whirled around in the air, across the ground, over the shiny black ice.  It was one of the most terrifying and exciting things to have ever happened to me!  Eventually I started to feel the cold no matter what I did.  It was completely inescapable no matter what I did.

Suddenly, I felt myself land on the ground, on the frozen solid ice.  I was huddled there, shivering from the cold thinking that I was going to die right then and there.  I just waited for something, anything, to happen. 

Suddenly, I barely saw a figure in the distance.  I was half delirious by this point in time and thought it was just a figment of my imagination.  I didn’t realize that it was an actual person coming towards me, so I just closed my eyes and waited for something to happen.  Next thing I know, I was being picked up in a pair of soft, warm, furry arms.  I realized that the figure I had seen was actually a grizzly bear! 



“Don’t worry little one.  I will take care of you.  You will be safe with me,” he whispered to me as he continued along his path.  I feel asleep in his arms from the exhaustion of everything that had happened.  I woke up when I felt a sudden rush of heat. 

“Don’t worry sweetheart.  You are going to be ok.  Let me get you warm and give you some food,” said a new grizzly bear, who I was assuming was the wife of the grizzly bear that had picked me up from the ground.

Both of the grizzly bears helped me regain my health.  They nourished me, cared for me, and basically became my second set of parents.  As time went on, I grew older.  Soon I was old enough to marry and it was decided that I was to marry the grizzlies’ son.  I had known him ever since I had been brought into the grizzlies’ house, so the choice to marry him was a clear one. 

We got married, and then children followed.  The mother grizzly became worried about what my father would say.  I had been away from him for such a long time; it was hard to imagine him back in the picture.  But mother grizzly insisted that we needed to let my father know that I was alive, married and that he had grandchild.  So we sent the eldest child back to my father to let him know about me.  We only had to wait a day or so to hear anything.

My father stormed into the grizzlies’ house, furious. 

How DARE you take my daughter as your own.  She is my child!  She belongs to me!  She does not need to marry any grizzly ever!” he spat those last few words.  “She is coming back with me to my teepee.”

“Father, don’t do this.  They cared for me when I was sick and I love them!” I tried to plead with him, but he was not having it. 

“I don’t care what you say. You are coming with me and we are leaving all of these grizzlies and grizzly children behind.  And as for YOU,” he spun around and pointed at the grizzlies, “you will never stand on two legs again, and you will never be able to speak, AGAIN!” 


And with that he stormed out of the house dragging me with him.  I cried for the rest of my days for the loss of my beloved grizzly family.

Author's Note: I wrote this story based off of the story I read called Old Man Above and the Grizzlies.  I wrote this story from the perspective of the Old Man Above's daughter and what she must have felt throughout the entire story.  

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting story this is! I would have liked a little more information about the original story in your author's note (but I know I can click on the link and read it if I really want to :) ). I get the feeling that this story is about why grizzly bears walk on all fours and can't talk. I love how so many of the Native American stories are origin stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story was very interesting. At first, I couldn’t help but think how weird/creepy it was that she married and had kids with a grizzly bear. As I continued to read, I realized that these grizzly bears were not like the grizzly bears that we know. I realized that this story was an origin story. I thought it was a cool idea to make this story from the daughter’s perspective.

    ReplyDelete