Sunday, January 18, 2015

Greek Myths: Ovid I - Reading Diary A

I chose for my reading diary A post to be focused on Ovid I of the Greek Myths.

Deucalion and Pyrrha - This story was the Greek Myth about the great flood that happened so many years ago and is so familiar to many cultures.  This story had many similarities to the story I am so familiar with, Noah and the Great Flood, but there were also quite a few differences that caused it to be a distinctively Greek Story.


Io - I liked this story for the fact that it talked what led up to the creation of the peacock.  I thought that story was just a tragic tale of what happened to Io.  She never asked for any of that to happen to her.  She never encouraged it, she was purely the victim of other people's actions.

Io as a cow (Wikimedia)

Phaethon and the Sun - I liked this story for it followed a trail that many follow.  A path to find out where they come from and who are the people that created them.  While most people are missing a father or a mother, Phaethon had a father who was the Sun God.  The God that is the most important of all Gods.
Phaethon trying to drive the Sun Chariot (Wikimedia)

Phaethon's Ride - This story shows what all children want to do.  They want to step into their parents' shoes and make them proud.  While Phaethon does not have the ability to step into the Sun God's shoes, he certainly tries to give it his best effort.

The Death of Phaethon - I appreciated this story for the fact that it told what happened to the people related to Phaeton after his death.  The story shows that people change a lot after they lose someone who is important to them.  The loss of a valued person is definitely something that changes a person

Phaethon's Death (Wikimedia)

Callisto - I enjoyed this story for the fact of how it ended.  It was a good story that turned what could have been a tragedy into something that everyone could enjoy.


Semele - This story was a little confusing to me.  It may be I just don't understand the background to it, but I was confused by the phrase that Semele said.  Why did it cause all of that destruction and what became of Jupiter because of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment