Thursday, January 15, 2015

Famous Last Words: Week 1

I am not sure if this topic fits under the category for this particular blog, however it is a realization I have had over the past week and it is something I would like to share.  In college, a lot of the students, myself included are bogged down with all of the work that we need to do.  That requires us to not focus on something that is incredibly important to us.  What is this very important item, you ask?

What We Eat.

As college students we usually don't think about food until right when it is time to eat, and then we end up either eating something that we bought from fast food or we make something that is quick and easy because that is all we are able to do.  What most college students don't do is take a small amount of time to cook a couple of meals for a few days.  It not only takes out the stress of lines and waiting to get your food, but it also means you are able to make anything you want.  Not just what is available.  Some people may scoff at this idea, that I am just learning this now, but with how busy I have been these past few semester it can be hard to even take that into consideration.  I would just go from meeting to class to meeting without even taking two seconds to plan what food I would want, or even see if I could bring food for me to class.  

What changed?  The fact I actually took a moment to consider what it would take for me to plan out some meals.  Maybe 30 minutes of planning beforehand, a little consideration when I went to the grocery store, and then a small amount of time to cook whatever I have planned.  Not only has it changed my mindset when I plan my week, but it also has helped me practice more cooking skills.  Skills that I will definitely need when I am in the real world and no longer in the bubble that is college.

The cookbook that has some of the best recipes and tips
( Found at Imagesbn)

1 comment:

  1. Meghan: This is a fantastic realization! I've been trying to cook at home more not only because it's a way to create better tasting food, but also because it's cheaper. I mean, $7.04 at Chipotle adds up pretty quickly, if we're being real.

    As you seem to imply, I think that because a lot of students don't think about their next meal until it's time to eat, they end up consuming empty calories and lots of carbs, processed items, and other un-delectable products.

    Of course, there's not always time to make a soufflé, but there is certainly time to thoughtfully consider a quick meal at home, which can be prepared in large portions sizes and saved in the refrigerator for busier days.

    ReplyDelete