Thursday, January 22, 2015

Extra Reading Diary - Arabian Nights

For this extra reading diary, I chose to read the first half of Arabian Nights.


Scheherazade - I liked this story for the fact it took one town's tragedy and turned it into a heroic story of a girl who tries to save her village.  Hopefully the story will succeed.  I have yet to read Arabian Nights or hear how it ends, but I know that there will be quite a few entertaining stories along the way.

Scheherazade herself (Wikimedia)

The Merchant and The Genius - I liked this story for the fact that as the story draws the reader on, the reader experiences more and more anticipation to see whether the merchant will be killed or not.  Then, suddenly, another man offers to tell a story to delay the death of the merchant.  So the story then becomes a story within a story.

The First Old Man and of the Hind - I enjoyed reading this story.  For the story not only was entertaining and the son was able to survive, but the wife of the old man also received what she had done to others.

The Second Old Man and of Two Black Dogs - I appreciated this story very much.  I have a younger sister and I know how hard it can be to get along with them at times.  While my sister and I have never reached the point that the men in the story did, I am sympathetic to how they felt.

The Fisherman - In this story, I felt sorry for the old man.  He did nothing wrong and helped the genius, but all the genius wanted to do was kill him.

The Greek King and the Physician Douban - In this story I felt bad for the Physician.  While, yes, he did lie to the King to become rich, all he wanted to do was help the King get better.  And what does he get for that?  Someone wanting him dead.

The Husband and the Parrot - This story confused me only for the reason that it was a story within a story suddenly, and it did not have the transition that the other stories within the story usually have.

The Physician's Revenge - I enjoyed this story for not only was the Physician able to get his revenge on the foolish king, but also it shows that if you do not confront a problem head on, it will lead to greater problems.

The Sultan and the Fish - I was intrigued by this story because the story itself ended at a point that was very suspenseful and made me want to read on more.

The Young King of the Black Isles - I enjoyed the ending of this story because it allowed everyone to get who was innocent, to become justified in the end.  It also caused a woman, who was mean and vengeful for no reason, to be killed for the evil things she had done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment